Kenya on alert as Ebola outbreak spreads in Uganda, DRC

Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale has announced that Kenya has intensified nationwide preparedness and surveillance measures to prevent the importation of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).

The announcement follows a worsening outbreak of the disease in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.

In a statement, Duale said the government had heightened monitoring and response systems after the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on May 16, 2026.

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention also classified the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security.

“The Ministry of Health wishes to update the public on the ongoing Ebola Virus Disease outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain currently affecting parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda,” Duale said.

He assured Kenyans that no Ebola case linked to the current outbreak has been reported in the country so far, but warned that Kenya’s close regional connections through trade, road transport, and air travel placed it at risk.

“I wish to reassure all Kenyans that, as of today, Kenya has not reported any Ebola Virus Disease case linked to the current outbreak. However, given Kenya’s close regional connectivity through road, air, trade, and population movement, the Government has activated enhanced surveillance and preparedness measures across the country,” he said.

According to the Health CS, the regional outbreak remains a major concern. As of May 18, more than 336 alerts and suspected cases were under investigation in the DRC, while 87 deaths had been reported, including two in Uganda. Four healthcare workers are also among the reported cases.

Duale noted that 13 laboratory-confirmed cases had been identified in both DRC and Uganda, adding that the outbreak had been classified as a Grade 3 High Risk event because of confirmed cross-border transmission, delayed detection, high regional mobility, and the lack of licensed vaccines or approved therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain.

To strengthen preparedness, the Ministry of Health through the Kenya National Public Health Institute has activated an Incident Management System at the national level, while counties have operationalised similar emergency response structures.

The Public Health Emergency Operations Centres have also remained on high alert, with Rapid Response Teams placed on 24-hour standby.

The government has further intensified screening at all points of entry, including airports, seaports, and land border crossings.

“As of 18th May 2026, more than 34,500 travellers, including 18,552 international travellers, 5,848 local travellers, 2,514 truck drivers, and 4,729 conveyances had undergone screening,” Duale said.

He clarified that there was currently no blanket quarantine for truck drivers or travellers, but enhanced risk-based screening and monitoring measures had been implemented in line with international health regulations and WHO guidance.

Among the additional measures announced are the deployment of an online passenger surveillance system, population mobility mapping in high-risk border regions, enhanced airport surveillance through the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority, and stronger cross-border coordination with Uganda, DRC, the East African Community, WHO, and Africa CDC.

Kenya has also boosted its laboratory and diagnostic capacity through designated testing centres at Kenya Medical Research Institute facilities in Nairobi and Kisumu, the National Public Health Laboratory, and mobile laboratory platforms.

On clinical preparedness, the ministry is mapping ambulance capacity in high-risk counties in collaboration with the Kenya Red Cross Society and working with private hospitals to strengthen early detection, referral, and reporting systems.

Duale said the ministry was also prioritising public awareness campaigns to combat misinformation and panic.

“Community Health Promoters are supporting surveillance and sensitization activities, while engagements with transport operators, media houses, digital influencers, and telecommunications partners are ongoing to support dissemination of verified public health information,” he said.

The ministry urged Kenyans to seek information only from official Ministry of Health communication channels, maintain regular handwashing, avoid contact with sick persons or bodily fluids, and seek immediate medical attention if they develop symptoms such as fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, or unexplained bleeding, especially after travel to affected areas.

Members of the public can access Ebola information and public health updates by dialling *719# or calling 719.

 

 

by Allan Kisia

More From Author

Orengo defends his remarks against Wanga amid backlash, impeachment threats

China confirms it will buy 200 Boeing jets after Trump-Xi summit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *