Close Menu
  • News
  • Counties
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Technology and Innovation
  • Our Forum
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Morocco and Madagascar set for historic CHAN 2024 final at Kasarani
  • President Ruto: Stars’ CHAN heroics have paved the way to Afcon 2027 glory
  • Jose Mourinho parts way with Fenerbahce
  • Rejected and Mocked, But Now I Am Happily Married to the Same Woman
  • Kenya eyes bioeconomy clusters to boost innovation and investment
  • How Kenyans abroad can grow their money without a headache
  • Kitui farmers advised to get right seeds as poor short rains predicted
  • Why US Embassy in Nairobi will close on Monday, September 1
Facebook X (Twitter)
Breaking Kenya News
Leaderboard Ad
  • News
  • Counties
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Technology and Innovation
  • Our Forum
  • Contact Us
Breaking Kenya News
You are at:Home»News»First-Year students stranded amid uncertainty over tuition reductions
News

First-Year students stranded amid uncertainty over tuition reductions

Kevin TevBy Kevin TevAugust 19, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Confusion has gripped thousands of first-year university students and their parents as the government’s recently announced review of tuition fees—expected to cut costs by between 15 and 40 percent—is yet to reflect in many institutions’ fee structures. 

Although the Ministry of Education assured that the adjustments had been finalized, most universities are still unable to provide clear details on the revised fees, leaving many students uncertain about how much they are required to pay as admissions for new learners begin this week.

Education Cabinet Secretary Migos Ogamba confirmed that the ministry had shared the necessary data with universities, noting that the process of uploading the new fee structures onto student portals was still ongoing.

“On Friday the data got ready. This is the time universities are now feeding that data, and in a number of institutions, the process has not been completed. That is where we are having confusion, with students saying they cannot yet see the changes,” said Ogamba.

The delays have left some families stranded. Twenty-year-old Collins Barare from Isecha, Kitutu Chache North in Kisii County, has been admitted to Tom Mboya University to pursue a Bachelor of Education degree. However, his family remains in the dark about the exact amount of tuition he should pay, weeks after the government announced the fee cuts.

“I applied for HELB and a scholarship and was told my applications were successful, but I don’t know how much I’ve been allocated. Even the bands are not clear. Right now, I don’t know if I will be able to join,” said Barare.

His mother, Naomi Kwamboka, expressed frustration, citing financial difficulties. “We don’t know how much we are supposed to pay, and even if we did, I don’t have the money. I haven’t managed to get hostel fees either. I already sent my other child to Nairobi to work as a maid so she can help pay school fees,” she said.

Continuing students are also affected. At Kisii University, some students say the reductions have not been reflected in their accounts, while others report receiving some relief. “Personally, I haven’t seen any changes in my portal, but I’m hopeful,” said Dickson Odhiambo. His colleague Kennedy Owino, however, noted, “My fees have been reduced and it’s a big relief. We’ve started to see the benefits.”

In Nyeri, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology has already informed continuing students that they will not issue updated fee structures until the government confirms individual allocations.

Despite the delays, CS Ogamba reassured students that no deserving learner would be left behind under the new funding model. He added that the government had created a five-week window for students to raise complaints in case of errors in their allocations.

“Where there is an error or incorrect information, there will be room for appeal so that fees can be reviewed. The purpose of the student-centered model is to ensure that every student who deserves government support receives it, and we are determined to see that through,” he said.
By Emily Chebet
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kevin Tev

Related Posts

Ministry bans social, extra-curricular activities as schools resume third term

Ruto’s pointman Kiunjuri starts push to reclaim Mt Kenya base: “Let’s tame our anger as leaders, let’s listen to our people”-

How KWS moved 10 southern white rhinos to Loisaba during a 10-day operation

Categories
  • ads
  • business
  • Counties
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • International News
  • News
  • OPINION
  • Sports
  • Technology and Innovation
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Popular
  • Recent
  • Top Reviews
March 17, 2018

Barclays launches mobile loan app

February 4, 2019

Hyena mauls boy to death in Laikipia, injures father

February 16, 2019

How corruption and impunity are aiding terrorism in Kenya

August 29, 2025

Morocco and Madagascar set for historic CHAN 2024 final at Kasarani

August 29, 2025

President Ruto: Stars’ CHAN heroics have paved the way to Afcon 2027 glory

August 29, 2025

Jose Mourinho parts way with Fenerbahce

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Authors
  • Contact Us
Copyright © 2025 ThemeSphere. Powered by WordPress.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.