Sonko to spend weekend behind bars after judge declines bail request - Beaking Kenya News

Beaking Kenya News

Where It All Happens

Breaking Kenya News

Translate

Saturday, 7 December 2019

Sonko to spend weekend behind bars after judge declines bail request

Lawyers Cecil Miller and George Kithi at a Milimani court on Friday, December 6, 2019.
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko will spend the weekend behind bars after a judge declined to grant his request for anticipatory bail.
The governor, through his lawyers led by Cecil Miller, had filed an application under a certificate of urgency seeking anticipatory bail.
Miller on Friday said Sonko had filed an application relating to issues of integrity against EACC and anti-graft agency's director of investigations Abdi Mohamed which will be heard on Monday.
Miller also  sought an order granting Sonko reasonable bail terms following his arrest and impending arraignment.
Miller says if dpp has concluded its investigations there should be no reason to hold him further and deny him bail pending arraignment.
"There's no reason why Sonko should spend the whole weekend behind bars," he said.
Miller said Sonko has never been a flight risk, adding that the request for anticipatory bail is to allow Sonko to present himself with dignity deserving of any citizen.
Miller said when Sonko was arrested, he was not running away but proceeding to an official function in Mombasa.
County assembly speaker Beatrice Elachi was in court.
Nairobi county assembly speaker Beatrice Elachi in court ON December 6, 2019 waiting to hear the verdict following Governor Mike Sonko's arrest.
Nairobi county assembly speaker Beatrice Elachi in court ON December 6, 2019 waiting to hear the verdict following Governor Mike Sonko's arrest.
Image: WILFRED NYANGARESI
Sonko was arrested by DCI detectives in Voi a few hours after the Director of Public Prosecution Noordin Haji ordered for his arrest.
Haji had earlier on Friday said he had sufficient evidence to warrant the prosecution of Sonko as well as senior City Hall officials following a review of the investigation file handed to the DPP by the EACC.
"I have ordered for the immediate arrest and arraignment of Sonko and other officials for the crimes of conflict of interest arising from having received money from the county of Nairobi while serving as governor, unlawful acquisition of public property, money laundering and other economic crimes," Haji said.
Haji said Sonko and several other City Hall officials to be charged facilitated and/or benefitted from the irregular procurement and payments amounting to Sh357 million.
Sonko and the other suspects are facing eight charges including the abuse of office which is contradicting section 48 of the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act.
DPP Haji said that corruption has been fighting back as implicated leaders try to mobilise goons to protest the arrest and arraignment.
"We shall not allow such dastardly acts to go on and l have directed the law enforcement agencies to investigate any such attempts and upon the establishment of evidence additional charges shall be preferred against those perpetrating these acts," Haji said.
Haji warned members of the public from being used by elected leaders as their shield whenever they are involved in crimes.
The City Hall officials to face charges are Peter Mbugua Kariuki (County Secretary), Patrick Mwangang'i (Head Supply Chain Management), Negotiation Tender Opening and Evaluation Committee members Samuel Ndung'u Mwangi, Edwin Kariuki Murimi, Lawrence Mwangi Mukuru, Preston Mwandiki Miriti.
   Others are senior clerical officers Wambua Ndaka, Andrew Nyasiego. 
Also to be charged are private persons and business entities that benefitted from funds irregularly acquired from the Nairobi City County Government.

No comments:

HOME

Pages