Hong Kong airport closed after thousands of demonstrators - Beaking Kenya News

Beaking Kenya News

Where It All Happens

Breaking Kenya News


Monday, 12 August 2019

Hong Kong airport closed after thousands of demonstrators

Hong Kong airport
Hong Kong,

All flights to and from Hong Kong were canceled on Monday after thousands of pro-democracy protesters stormed the city's airport to denounce police violence.

The brutal stoppage of one of the busiest centers in the world took place as the Chinese government manifested its rising rage for protesters, denouncing some of the violent protests as "terrorism".

These events marked another dramatic escalation in a ten-week crisis, which was already the main challenge of Chinese rule over Hong Kong since the transfer of British power in 1997.

A crowd of protesters who, according to the authorities, count more than 5,000 people coming Monday at the Hong Kong airport carrying placards and chanting slogans denouncing police violence at previous rallies.


Although more rallies took place in the previous three days, the airport authorities said Monday's rally caused significant chaos.

"The airport operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been seriously disrupted as a result of the public meeting that took place today at the airport," the group said in a statement.

"Apart from departing flights that have completed the check-in process and arrival flights already heading to Hong Kong, all other flights have been canceled for the remainder of the day."

He warned that the traffic to the airport was "very crowded" and that the car parks of the establishment were completely filled.

"Members of the public are advised not to come to the airport."


At the airport, protesters waved signs saying "Hong Kong is not safe" and "The shame of the police."

They reacted to allegations that the police were using increasingly violent tactics to suppress demonstrations.

Over the weekend, police fired tear gas at subway stations.

Protesters were also enraged to see the police dressed in black t-shirts worn by the pro-democracy movement to infiltrate rallies and make surprise and violent arrests.

Protesters reacted this weekend by throwing bricks and showering the riot police with fire extinguishers and hoses.

A government official said 45 people were wounded in the clashes, including two in serious condition.


Among them was a woman who was badly injured in the face after being hit by a bag of beans. Rumors were circulating that she lost her sight during the incident.

The images of her lying on the ground with blood flowing from her face quickly became viral and appeared on posters calling for new demonstrations.

It was the tenth consecutive weekend that protesters took to the streets as part of a movement that saw the light of a law allowing extradition to mainland China.

The protests turned into a broader attempt to reverse the slide of democratic freedoms in the southern city of China.

In Beijing, the authorities reprimanded violent protesters who had thrown gasoline bombs at police officers and linked them to "terrorism".

"Radical protesters in Hong Kong have repeatedly used extremely dangerous tools to attack police officers, which is already a serious violent crime and is also showing the first signs of terrorism," said Yang Guang, spokesman for Hong Kong and Macao Council of State affairs.

"This violates without reason the law and the social order of Hong Kong."

No comments: