Close Menu
  • News
  • Counties
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Technology and Innovation
  • Our Forum
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Morocco and Madagascar set for historic CHAN 2024 final at Kasarani
  • President Ruto: Stars’ CHAN heroics have paved the way to Afcon 2027 glory
  • Jose Mourinho parts way with Fenerbahce
  • Rejected and Mocked, But Now I Am Happily Married to the Same Woman
  • Kenya eyes bioeconomy clusters to boost innovation and investment
  • How Kenyans abroad can grow their money without a headache
  • Kitui farmers advised to get right seeds as poor short rains predicted
  • Why US Embassy in Nairobi will close on Monday, September 1
Facebook X (Twitter)
Breaking Kenya News
Leaderboard Ad
  • News
  • Counties
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Technology and Innovation
  • Our Forum
  • Contact Us
Breaking Kenya News
You are at:Home»Sports»Allowance row threatens to overshadow Malkia Strikers’ World Championships campaign
Sports

Allowance row threatens to overshadow Malkia Strikers’ World Championships campaign

Kevin TevBy Kevin TevAugust 23, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

The Malkia Strikers have raised the alarm over unpaid allowances on the eve of their FIVB Women’s World Championship opener in Thailand, casting a cloud over their preparations.

‎Kenya, pooled in Group G alongside Poland, Germany and Vietnam, open their campaign against Germany at 1 pm. ‎

‎But instead of full focus on court battles, the squad is lamenting financial neglect from the government.

‎In a viral video, outside hitter Pamela Odhiambo, who plies her trade with Finnish giants LP Viesti, revealed that the team has been struggling since their build-up phase in Nairobi.‎

‎“We sat down as Malkia Strikers and decided to make this video. We have not received our allowances ever since camp began. We have been struggling, but because we are patriotic, we’ve kept pushing and training,” Odhiambo said.

‎She noted that the troubles began when the provisional squad of 29 was trimmed to 20 players ahead of a three-week residential camp.

‎‎”During our training at Nyayo, we had a provisional squad of 29 players and the training was good. We had everything we wanted at that specific time, and we also got our allowances,” she said.

‎‎”That number was later trimmed to 20 players and we would now be going into the residential camp for three weeks. That is where the problems began.”

‎‎She revealed that the team was informed there were no funds to enter the residential camp.

‎‎”From what we were told, there was no money to get us to the residential camp, so we had to train one more week as non-residentials.”

‎‎She questioned why funds were not set aside despite the World Championships being on the international calendar well in advance.

‎‎”As usual, we always have a calendar for the year, the FIVB always releases a calendar, and as from last year, we already knew we would be participating in the World Championships.”

‎”If they already knew we were going to participate in the World Championships, we were sure everything would work out smoothly because the government and ministry have already prepared and know we will be playing.”

‎With the federation unable to cushion them, betting firm Mozzart Bet stepped in, providing the squad with tracksuits and training kit.

‎”The 20 players were later trimmed to 16 for the travelling squad, but there was still no money and no communication. That’s where Mozzart bet our sponsors came in and provided us with track suits and training shirts.”

‎‎Odhiambo revealed that they have been following up with the federation (Kenya Volleyball Federation) to ensure their allowances are paid.

‎”We have been asking the federation bosses about our allowances, but they told us they will talk with the ministry.

‎She reveals that the team kicked off their training ahead of the World Championships with high hopes

‎”We began our national training sometime back on a very high note because we were very much prepared for the World Championships and we were hoping to make a mark at the global show,” she said.

‎‎During the 2022 edition of the tournament, Malkia, who were grouped alongside Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico and Cameroon, failed to make it past the group stages.

‎‎At the 2018 edition, the team also failed to make it past the groups, pooled in group D alongside Serbia, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Kazakhstan.

Team captain Meldina Sande echoed Odhiambo’s frustrations, issuing a passionate appeal to both the Sports Ministry and President William Ruto.

‎‎”We came here with a target, and we don’t want to lose it. Bwana President, we are also your children, motivate us.”

‎”CS, you promised us that our money would come, help us. We need something so that we achieve what we came here for. We are suffering, but because we are patriotic Kenyan’s we don’t want anything to distract us,” Sande said.

KVF deputy president Paul Bitok, in a statement, said the federation had received the remaining funds from the ministry on Thursday afternoon.

‎”I am pleased to inform you that we received sponsorship from the ministry yesterday afternoon. All pending payments accrued during training, as well as for the international friendlies in Vietnam and Thailand, will be fully settled,” the statement read.

The process of allocating the remaining allowances for the players was in its final stages.

‎”This morning, I was at the ministry to follow up on players’ allowances. The process is at its final stage, and the allowances will be deposited into each player’s account soon. The ministry has been processing similar payments for all sports, including the recently concluded U20 Girls’ competition and beach volleyball.”

‎‎He added that there was no cause for concern among the team.

‎‎”There is no cause for concern—players will receive their allowances from the Ministry. We are sorry for the delay but all will be sorted. I kindly request all players and technical staff to stay focused on today’s match, as all financial matters will be resolved today (Thursday).”

 

by TEDDY MULEI

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Kevin Tev

Related Posts

Morocco and Madagascar set for historic CHAN 2024 final at Kasarani

President Ruto: Stars’ CHAN heroics have paved the way to Afcon 2027 glory

Jose Mourinho parts way with Fenerbahce

Categories
  • ads
  • business
  • Counties
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • International News
  • News
  • OPINION
  • Sports
  • Technology and Innovation
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Popular
  • Recent
  • Top Reviews
March 17, 2018

Barclays launches mobile loan app

February 4, 2019

Hyena mauls boy to death in Laikipia, injures father

February 16, 2019

How corruption and impunity are aiding terrorism in Kenya

August 29, 2025

Morocco and Madagascar set for historic CHAN 2024 final at Kasarani

August 29, 2025

President Ruto: Stars’ CHAN heroics have paved the way to Afcon 2027 glory

August 29, 2025

Jose Mourinho parts way with Fenerbahce

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Authors
  • Contact Us
Copyright © 2025 ThemeSphere. Powered by WordPress.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.